Tuesday, June 12, 2012

lewis taylor smashes the loop de loop

lewis taylor, aka yams, hits hard with his exhibition debut in chicago's loop district. primiering new works on canvas, taylor has created his own evironment, floating bright, bold colors and thick black strokes, above and in front  of a signature fill-in, watermarked on the floor and the walls.


Lewis Taylor, Chicago based artist and BFA recipient from Virginia Commonwealth University, is a process oriented abstract artist whose intention is to empower his viewers to create their own narrative. His approach is with no preconceived notion and his heavy black outlines and layers of bright colors transition between text-based form and zoomorphic image. Taylor, a prolific street artist and graffiti writer, currently has work in the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum and The Free Street Theatre.

"When I begin the process of creation, I approach a piece sans regard of its final result. I set out to make discoveries. Sometimes I have a specific Idea in mind, yet this idea is certain to change throughout the creative process. My construction of an image also involves an element of destruction, as I am searching for what I want. As I work on an image I deal with technical details with an emphasis on line quality. The colors I use are unique to each piece. When I have fully built, dismantled and rebuilt a piece and feel comfortable with the strength of its foundation, my creation is complete. To me, this is a stressful, yet remarkably satisfying way to achieve an engaging final product."
Taylor's work is part a group show at popup art loop's gallery@220, which includes Ennis Martin and resident artist Richard Shipps. The exhibition will be available for viewing at 220 S. Wabash, Mon.-Sat., 1130 to 5pm until June 30. 
Co-curated by Stuart Hall and Jaba Jones

tag-- you're it

No comments:

Post a Comment